In 2016, PATCH was the first organisation to fund Dr Flint in the development of his SPOT (Safer Prescribing of Opioids Tool) software as a medical device app.
He has worked tirelessly to develop this achieving funding along the way from Lippen Care, Scottish Enterprise and Innovate UK.
He has published, in collaboration with a small group of scientist, researchers and clinicians, in the International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health  and the Tayside Courier; presented at the centre of Advanced Palliative Care in the States, on BBC Radio and BBC the Nine.
SPOT has been cited by the Scottish Partnership for Palliative Care in Every Story’s Ending as a recommended resource for prescribers. It has been recommended to the Scottish Government as a funding priority as part of their national palliative care strategy. SPOT is published by Class Professional Publishing.
Most recently he has been awarded a prestigious Harvard HealthTech Fellowship which will enhance his future practice as a UK GP, particularly in medical leadership, innovation and patient safety.
SPOT supports prescribers to double-check their conversions of one strong morphine-like painkiller to another, at the patient’s bedside in palliative and end-of-life settings. It is the first such clinically validated opioid prescribing support tool available. It is in use in the Scottish Borders and can be purchased through Class publishing
References and Footnotes
- Flint, R.; Buchanan, D.; Jamieson, S.; Cuschieri, A.; Botros, S.; Forbes, J.; George, J. The Safer Prescription of Opioids Tool (SPOT): A Novel Clinical Decision Support Digital Health Platform for Opioid Conversion in Palliative and End of Life Care—A Single-Centre Pilot Study. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2019, 16, 1926. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph16111926 ↩
- End-of-life pain relief phone app trialled at Melrose care unit | BBC News, 14 Jun 2019. ↩
- Every Story's Ending | Scottish Partnership for Palliative Care, report [Accessed 2 Mar 2022] ↩
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): palliative care toolkit | Scottish Government [Accessed 2 Mar 2022] ↩
- SPOT: The Safer Prescription of Opioids Tool | Class Professional Publishing [Accessed 2 Mar 2022] ↩
- Supporting Opiod Prescription in NHS Borders: SPOT - The Safer Prescription of Opioids Tool ↩